The Search For a New Home Has Started
Following is an update about our project Build A New Home for Ebola Orphans in Sierra Leone
We have excitedly started the process of looking for a new home for the "Dream Home" Orphanage.
This process involved a review of the current housing situation.
- Current property is not fenced / secure.
- Does not have internal bathrooms.
- Does not have a large dining area that can seat all the kids.
- Transportation: Currently most of the kids are walking to a nearby school.
- Does not have internal plumbing / running water.
We have included in this report some external photos of the home - so you can see what the area looks like.
With this in mind, here are a few items on our wish list
- 5+ bedrooms
- Housing for Matron + 1 or 2
- Location - Goderich to Wellington (readily accessible to public transportation / schools)
- Ideally located within walking distance of a school. Otherwise, we will need to purchase a bus.
We welcome your suggestions of things we should keep in mind as we plan this transition.
The management team has determined that we might need to transition in 2 phases:
Phase 1: Lease a temporary, more ideal home. We could use this home for 1-3 years. Given the funding, this is an option that we would prefer to implement this year. With this in mind, we have started the process of locating a house we could lease for this purpose. This would help to address the most urgent need for security / safety. We appreciate your support to make this a reality.
Phase 2: Purchase a long term home. This could involve buying an existing house or building a new house. We have started looking for grant opportunities that will help make this a reality.